As much as I love to cook, there are a few times where I want something easy. And, that’s where the crock pot comes in. Honestly, its name should be “how to impress your guest when you really have no idea what you’re doing machine“. I guess that doesn’t roll off the tongue easily soo, we’ll stick with crock pot. Either way, today I’m sharing my favorite crock pot recipe, and… its low fat! ::drum roll::
Here’s the recipe for my Low Fat Mac & Cheese!
Disclaimer before we begin; I’m not saying this is a “healthy” mac and cheese; it’s just lower fat than normal recipes. Don’t Regina George me and eat this 3 times a day and wonder why you haven’t lost any weight.
- 16 oz. whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 3 cups milk
- 12 oz of evaporated milk (1 can)
- 8 oz. low fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into chunks
- 3 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of panko bread crumbs
- Cook pasta in boiling water for about 6 minutes- you want it to be a little al dente.
- While that’s cookie, cut the cream cheese and butter into little squares.
- Place the cooked pasta, milk, cream cheese, butter and cheddar cheese into a crock pot. Stir and top with Parmesan cheese. Set heat to Low and cook for 2.5 hours. Stir occasionally. You’ll know it’s finished when it’s all melted together around the 2.5 hour mark.
- For an extra flair, because I’m extra AF, before serving the Mac n Cheese, top with parmesan cheese, panko bread crumbs a pinch of parsley, put it in the over under “Broil” until brown and then serve. It’s extra amazing that way.
And, there it is! Hopefully you enjoy it as much as we do!