Ho, Ho, Ho!
Christmas is a week away and we (meaning me and Emmett) know exactly what you need; a tasty and strong Sangria to bring to your holiday parties. Well, look no further because your girl has you covered with Santa’s Silly Sangria! (because, let’s be honest; there’s no way Santa is that productive, jovial, and nice to kids without a little liquid support, right?)
Yes, I know: there are a MILLION sangria recipes available to you. So, what makes this one unique? Well, I predominately pair my sangria with red meat at work so my recipe is savory vs. sweet. We’re using natural sugars from the fruit and no artificial sweetener. This helps with the next morning should you find yourself ending your Christmas slurring the lyrics to Rudolph.
Full disclosure; please be careful while drinking this. We found ourselves drunk as skunks at 1 in the afternoon yesterday after 3 mugs worth of this sangria. It doesn’t feel like you’re drinking alcohol until you find yourself talking so loud the squirrels are running away from your shrieking laugh.
- 2 Bottles of Rioja Wine (it’s a spanish varietal that will not disappoint!)
- 2 1/2 cups of an Apple Ale ( We used “Redd’s apple ale because it’s less sugar than Angry Orchid)
- 1/3 cup of Orange Flavored Vodka
- 1/3 cup of Regular Vodka
- 1 1/2 cup of Pom Pomegranate Juice
- 1 cup of chopped apples
- 1 cup of cranberries
- 1 cup of lime flavored seltzer ( I used the last of my wegmans seltzer this week on this. I don’t live near a wegmans, so you have to know how much I love this Sangria to use the last of my Weggies seltzer on it!)
- A dash of cinnamon powder
mix in all the ingredients, except for the seltzer, and stir continuously. Finish the sangria with a little cinnamon on top and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, if not more. Personally, we let it sit over night for true flavor. Before serving, add in the seltzer to give it a little fizz, serve chilled, and add a cinnamon stick to really look fancy AF.
I hope you get silly! Enjoy!